Friday, March 15, 2013

{MAKING THINGS HAPPEN} What is your core?

Yesterday I drove 6 hours home back to Savannah from Chapel Hill, NC after the Making Things Happen Conference was over. About 10 minutes before I got home I was thinking about some of the things I had learned at the conference. And one of the major components is figuring out your core. What fires you up. What you love. And I keep coming back to the desert. Why the desert? That makes no sense. I'm from OREGON. I grew up in the rainiest non-desert like environment ever. Then I went to college in WASHINGTON. Even more rainy and more non-desert like. But still, there is just something about the desert. And not just that, but things that remind me of the desert. Arrows, antlers, bohemian styles, aztec, southwestern, Mexican food, more arrows, more antlers, cactuses, succulents, desert sunsets, the colors of the desert, etc. But I kept telling myself shit that makes no sense. Your core cannot be a place! Your core has to be something meaningful, something deep, like real deep. Something real, something you can't see but something you feel. Then it hit me.

The desert is my core because of the memories that come with it. The feelings I get when I think about the desert. The desert is my core because of the way it makes me feel and the things it reminds me of. From the memories I have as a kid running around a deserted island somewhere along the Williamette with my dad pretending we are indians, to going on this Don Juan Trek (I think that's what it was called but I most likely am wrong) in the desert as a kid with my dad and family friends and going on long hikes in the desert in Arizona, to listening to my dad telling me about growing up in Phoenix, to listening to my dad telling me about driving back and forth during the summers from the desert to California where he went to college and how he would roll down the windows and take in the desert air, to visiting Chet (my dad's college friend) in Arizona at his house in the desert, to enjoying Spring Break in Palm Springs, to going to Mexico and staying in a tent in the middle of the desert in Tijuana, Mexico two summers in a row on a mission trip to build houses for underprivileged families and learning the word of God everyday, to driving cross country with my boyfriend and staying at the Grand Canyon Ranch in a little cabin and sitting under the stars by the fire listening to an old guy play country songs on his guitar, to exploring the Grand Canyon with Chris and feeling so small yet so in love.

That is my core. It's not the desert. It's the history, the feelings, the memories, the love, the stories, the family that is my core. Thinking of the desert brings me home, to a younger place. Thinking of the desert reminds me of my dad, who actually grew up in the desert and reminds me I am my father's daughter in so many ways. He built me into the person I am today, and I am grounded in the person he is. Thinking of the desert brings me joy in my relationship, reminds me of the moments that I fell in love with Chris all over again, the moments that meant so much to me, the moments that I knew he was the guy for me. Thinking of the desert brings me peace, and happiness, and joy. And just makes me smile.

Now this brings me back to Making Things Happen. At this point you are probably wondering why does this matter? Well, let me tell you why. Because to be fulfilled, to live a wholesome life you must follow your core. And no this does not mean I am going to up and move to the desert. But this does mean that I need to understand what fires me up and how I can translate that into my business. So if love, family, memories, stories, relationships fire me up and are my core... then, those need to be my focus when working with clients. If the weddings I am helping couples with are not focused around those things then I am failing. So moving forward, I strive to focus my couples on what matters. It is not just about pretty flowers and pretty decorations, it is about sharing your story, and making a wedding memory that is focused on you, your fiance, your family and friends, and the things that matter most. I mean, sure we all love the pretty, but wouldn't you so much rather have friends leaving your wedding thinking wow, that was so unexpected, and so... them. Well, that's what I want for you and that's what I want to do for you. With that being said... here is some visualization for what brings me back to my core...


{Photo Credits} Bride & Groom via Jose Villa // Bouquet via The Sweetest Occasion, photography by Half Orange // Bride in Desert via Green Wedding Shoes, photography by Leo Patrone // Tablescape via Once Wed, photography by Charlie Star // Drink Cart via Ruffled, photography by Brushfire Photography

1 comment:

Thank you for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...